Yes, you read that correctly… I SCREAM Social… the perfect outdoor party for toddlers to run around eating ice cream and screaming! I love this party idea as it allows the whole family to enjoy an afternoon together.
My original thought was to provide the ice cream and ask everyone to bring their favorite topping (BYOT). However, I decided to use this theme for a baby shower, so we provided all the toppings so that our guests could focus on bringing gifts to the parents to be (wink, wink).
But, that doesn’t mean you can’t steal my idea and have your own BYOT ice cream social!
Tips to make your BYOT I Scream Social a success:
- Be sure to have plenty of ice cream, bowls, spoons & napkins. We have a wonderful market in our neighborhood where I was able to order the ice cream in 3 gallon increments and they gave me their wholesale price. Sam’s & Costco are also cost effective or if you can keep an eye on sale ads, you can usually find a good BOGO sale. *see ice cream note below
- Pick a shady spot for the serving table and put the ice cream on ice for serving so it will slow down the melting. A large cooler works well for this.
- Provide serving bowls for guests to use for their toppings on the serving table.
- Ask that the adults do the ice cream serving. You can figure out this rationale on your own.
- Have baby wipes around to help wipe up the sticky messes.
- Make a great playlist to enjoy during the social. The playlist I made was on Spotify and is called Rockin’ Robin- check it out!
- Once the party starts, the ice cream is self serve which allows you time to mix and mingle with all the guests instead of being tied to a buffet line serving everyone.
*A note on ice cream:
Did you know that ice cream has to have 10% dairy fat to be called ice cream? Anything less than that (here’s to looking at you Breyers), is labeled a frozen dairy dessert (aka NOT ice cream). My brilliant husband pointed this fact out to me a couple of years ago and has since made me a believer.
Can’t wait to hear how your BYOT I Scream Social goes! Please share pics!
love and learn, brooke